10 strategies to overcome the problem of “Insomnia"
10 strategies to overcome the problem of “Insomnia"
Insomnia, is the most common sleep problem. accounted for as high as 30 percent of the world's population. Of all insomniacs, 30-40% have occasional problems, while more than 20 percent experience insomnia almost every night. get proper treatment
Insomnia means inability to sleep. Sleep soundly at the desired time, divided into 4 types:
- Initial insomnia is difficulty falling asleep or it takes more than 30 minutes to get into a deep sleep.
- Middle or Intermittent Insomnia: is sleeping soundly, but waking up in the middle of the night, late insomnia.
- (Terminal Insomnia) is waking up at least 2 hours earlier than usual and unable to continue sleeping and
- Total insomnia is a combination of insomnia in many ways.
Insomnia can be caused by many reasons. Many studies have found that older people There will be a higher rate of this problem as well. and when analyzing In detail, it is found that more than half are caused by Mental condition or psychiatric disease such as stress and anxiety or depression, with 25 percent being caused by diseases or physical or neurological causes, such as sleep apnea, narcolepsy, and medications (heart disease, high blood pressure). high blood or asthma), drugs, or even alcohol. and smoking, while the other 25 percent is a sleep problem. Can't sleep for no reason Also known as Primary Insomnia.
Treatment methods depend on the cause of insomnia. But no matter what your problem is. One thing that may help you is quality. Better sleep is Hygiene of good sleep (Sleep Hygiene), which has a total of 10 things, which are:
- Try to go to bed and wake up at the same time every day. except holidays
- If you've been in bed for 20 minutes, you still can't fall asleep. Get out of bed and sit in another room. Read a book that calms the mind. (Make sure to turn off the lights in the room and turn on only reading lamps.)
- Avoid napping during the day. (If necessary, naps should not be longer than 1 hour.)
- Refrain from smoking, drinking tea, coffee, chocolate and alcoholic beverages. at least 4-6 hours before bedtime
- Exercise regularly But should refrain from exercising in the 4 hours before bedtime (because it will stimulate the body to wake up causing insomnia)
- Avoid physically stimulating activities. and the mind near bedtime, such as playing loud music or watch an exciting movie
- Do not use the bed for other activities. (except sleep and activities like that only)
- Eat in moderation Don't let go hungry and avoid large meals near bedtime
- When you wake up in the morning, get out of bed immediately.
- After waking up, turn your face to the sunny side for 10-15 minutes (to let the sunlight Stimulate and adjust the working time of the brain to balance)
For treatment with sleeping pills It needs to be closely consulted and supervised by a psychiatrist or medical professional. Because insomnia can be caused by many reasons. The only cure was to sleep. It has not identified the exact cause and corrected or treated the cause directly first. This will cause this chronic problem to be unable to stop the medication. And if the cause is serious, it can cause death.
Even getting adequate sleep is essential for your body. But choosing inappropriate methods to sleep soundly, such as using sleeping pills without a doctor's advice. Exercising vigorously to make the body tired. or even the use of alcohol or drugs in high doses for relaxation They are all ways to undermine your own health. If you are one of those people who have trouble sleeping. I would like to start with good hygiene adjustments. in your sleep first If it doesn't work, just one pill should be under the advice of a doctor. If you want to sleep soundly and safely
How well do you know "sleeping pills” ?
There are several groups of sleeping pills that are commonly used in Thailand, including:
- Benzodiazepines It is a drug that is often used. effect to reduce Stimulates brain cells, calms and relaxes the body. acting on muscle relaxants and reduce seizures in patients Epilepsy as well In addition, most of these drugs have Side effects are few and the rate of addiction is not high. Because these drugs have psychoactive effects and are FDA-approved drugs. and strictly controlled drugs Dispensing of this drug is required. prescription and should not be taken orally by yourself
This group of drugs is also divided into two groups according to their action:
- The short-acting group includes Lorazepam and Alprazolam, which dissociate and act within 15-30 minutes and remain active for no more than 3-6 hours. Drug ingredients or misuse can lead to severe addiction.
- The long-acting group includes Clonazepam, Diazepam, Clorazepate, etc. They produce drowsiness within 2 hours and last for up to 10-12 hours. This group of drugs requires caution in the elderly. It should be used in half the size of the average person. and should use short-acting drugs If an overdose does not usually result in death. But those who took the drug for a long time and stopped the drug immediately. There may be withdrawal symptoms of sleeping pills, such as insomnia. Along with other symptoms, including abdominal pain, indigestion, sweating, heart palpitations, in severe cases, hallucinations may occur. In addition, this group of drugs has caution in its use, which is not to drink while taking the drug. because it will make the drug work longer The drug should not be used in elderly people who need to wake up often. due to the possibility of an accident And this drug should not be used by people who work with machinery. or driving a vehicle.
- Non-Benzodiazepine Hypnotics or other sleeping pills such as Zolpidem or the hormone Melatonin, etc. It is a drug that helps to sleep soundly without acting through other mechanisms at all, making it less likely to have drug resistance or addiction. and have side effects Yong of the drug is not much It is a drug that is used as another alternative.
- Antidepressants or antidepressants Suitable for people with insomnia and anxiety or depression. Antidepressants work well to help sleep. These include Trazodone, Nefazodone, or Paroxetine, among others.
- Other drugs include antihistamines. Anti-histamine such as Chlorpheniramine (CPM), Diphenhydramine (Dramamine), Hydroxyzine (Atarax) may have side effects that make you very sleepy. help sleep better Suitable for those who suffer from occasional insomnia.